Moving Tips to Make Your Move Easy
Moving from one home to another always puts a lot on one’s plate. Nevertheless, moving does not have to be a bad experience. Here are a few things to keep in mind that may make your move a little smoother.
- Have your reservation made as far in advance as possible. Prepare all of your change of address materials about one month in advance. The post office, utilities, insurance, DMV and anyone you do business with should be notified with a change of address form. Be sure your friends and relatives have your new address before you leave, too.
- Start packing a couple weeks in advance. Start with the items you don’t use or won’t need until after you move. If possible, bring these things to your new home early. Make sure you have all the packing supplies you will need before you get started. Boxes, tape, packing material, markers, labels, and box-cutters should all be readily at hand. Save your newspapers and such for a few weeks before you move.
- Use your head when you pack your belongings. Work smarter, not harder. Be sure to use appropriate boxes and other packing materials when packing valuable or fragile items.
- After you have cleared out the old place, do a final walk-through. Then do another, and another. Be sure to check all cabinets, closets, storage areas, etc. Be sure to have a plan. Keeping a checklist is a good idea.
- Say goodbye to whatever you don’t really use. Give it away, sell it, throw it away, or leave it behind, but don’t waste time and space with the things you don’t need anymore that may cost more to move than re-purchase.
- Have all the utilities turned on a couple days before the move. Something may happen and they may be a day late, so this helps ensure you will have electricity and water in your new home when you get there.
- Clearly label all the boxes you have packed. Label by room (Kitchen 1 of 6) and contents (Dishes).
- Pack a few boxes essentials that you may need upon arrival, such as food, clothes, medication, toiletries, pet care items, and child care items. On a nationwide move, your items usually take a few weeks to arrive, and sometimes can take longer to get there depending on weather and other unforeseen events.
- Keep your valuables and personal documents with you, in a safe place at all times throughout your move.
- Clean the new house before you move all your possessions in, if it is possible. Clean any furniture before it is taken inside the new house. You don’t want to bring dirt and dust into your home with your furniture. Have a plan as to where your furniture should go in the new house.